I was recently speaking at a youth event and one of the things I talked about to the youth was prayer. Not only talking to God, but really listening to what he has to say to you. I wanted to share this with you because it is so important that we not only talk to God but listen. God has so much he wants to share with us each and every day but we are so busy or tired (falling asleep praying) that we can’t get what he has for us. His word is so full of riches and mysteries that in order to reap the benefit you must seek Him and read His word. I wish I would have caught on to the importance of REALLY listening to the voice of God early on. I feel like I knew when God was speaking to me, but I was unsure.
Here are some tips to help you REALLY hear the voice of God:
- Repent for all your sins. You must ask God to forgive you and to cleanse you from all unrighteousness. This removes any guilt you may feel in your heart that is preventing you from truly seeking Him BOLDLY.
- If you need an answer from God, find a scripture in His word that will back up your desire for an answer and know specifically what you are seeking Him for.
- If you are having a daily moment with God. Take time to pray then listen. I like to take my journal out and put on either nature music or worship music and write what I believe God is saying to me. (He will never tell you to do anything against His word) Always remember this scripture when hearing the voice of God “The entire law is summed up in a single command: "Love your neighbor as yourself." Galatians 5:14 Pretty straight forward! Let that sink in. What are you really praying about and who will it benefit the most?
- God may not speak audibly all the time. He speaks to me through MANY different avenues. Sometimes I hear the same message from one person to the next. Sometimes I see a sign on the highway, another time I read it in the magazine. If you feel like God is trying to tell you something….he probably IS!
- Write down what He says. I can’t tell you how many times I was trying to go to bed at 2am in the morning and God was speaking to me. In the beginning I wasn’t obedient and just thought I couldn’t sleep. NOW, I know better. I turn on my nightstand light and I start writing everything that I feel in my spirit that God is telling me. I usually forget the next morning but soon after that VERY word is needed for somebody. What has God given you and you forgot?
- Never underestimate the POWER in fasting. The word says, "something come ONLY but by prayer and fasting." I am currently in a season where God is revealing to me the POWER in fasting. I feel so much closer to God when I fast, putting my flesh in check. Love it!
- Be patient. He may not answer you right away but He will answer. He loves you and has your best interest in mind. He also sees the bigger picture. Just trust Him and let Him know that you are waiting for your answer.
It is my prayer that you grow closer to Christ and seek Him like you’ve never sought Him before. He has SO much to say. Love you all! God Bless!